Saturday, January 28, 2017

Dogs with Lymphoma


This is Daisy she's a 10 year old lab terrier mix. It was back in September 2016 when I felt the lumps on her neck. I knew something was wrong so I made the appointment with her vet. Her vet examined her and needed to take a sample from the lymph nodes to find out what is going on. It was confirmed that she has lymphoma. That's the most devastating news I think any pet owner can get. She was only given 2-3 months and I wouldn't have her with me by the holidays. At least that's what I was told and thought. Thankfully she is still here with me today. We take it day by day and I enjoy every minute with her. She get's to lead walks, gets fed homemade dog food and given so much love.

Dog Lymphoma is a type of cancer that originates in the lymphocyte cells of the immune system. A type of white blood cell, lymphocytes play an important role in the body's defenses.

There are two forms B and T cell. Occurring primarily in bone marrow, lymph nodes and organs. We did not get Daisy tested to find out which type she is.  The cost of surgery alone was already out of budget. Then there's the cost to see oncologist and treatment using chemo which runs in the thousands. They do offer a low cost treatment to folks that can't afford it. Daisy was prescribed Prednisone. She also wasn't given much time using this method and we beat it. I have changed her diet to high protein low carbs. I also cook for her, things like chicken, ground meat  and turkey. She is on healthy supplements to keep her immune system strong.

Since her diagnosis I have taken pictures and videos of her daily. I will share them here and your welcome to follow her and share her story with other pet owners. Next blog I'll be talking about how dogs get cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment