Monday, January 28, 2013

This Curious Cat- Got Hurt

 
 

Poor little Rascal. His new nickname is Band aid Boy. He hurt himself while living up to his name. Rascal is so curious that he goes into places he shouldn't. This time he got stuck in the mechanism in our couch recliner. He ripped a dime size hole in his chin while trying to get out. He had a quick release collar on and that was also stuck in the mechanism and the collar never released. I took him to the vet. There his doctor recommended gluing the hole together so we don't have to sedate him to get stitches. That worked and he is now heeling. Trying to wrap it so he does not scratch is an issue. Wish the vet gave me a cone but I didn't ask.  Hard to wrap the chin. So I have it the best I can and it limits him from reaching the wounded area.  We are now getting a new couch. It is much needed since he hurt himself and we need new decor anyway. I was wondering if anyone else have issues with reclining couches or chairs with your kitties?
We have to use child safety locks on our cabinets so he won't get in them too. I think he was once a human in another life. LOL
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Yep i sure did! My Angel Bobo who passed in 2007 at the age of 18 used to climb INTO our reclining couch. He did it more than once but thankfully never got hurt. I would NEVER have a reclining couch OR chair again with a cat in the house.
    Also, as for collars, if your cat is an indoor cat many are hugely opposed to putting a collar on an indoor cat, including me...often, as you said, the "release" doesn't work, and if it is a normal collar if a cat is jumping or whatever the collar can become stuck or tangled on something and the cat can accidentally be strangled.
    I would NEVER have an indoor cat wear a collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got rid of that reclining couch and very happy with the new one. I would never purchase anything that reclines. What we had were hand me down furniture.
      The only reason why I put a collar on my black cats cause I cannot see them at night but I can hear their collar bells. This way we do not trample them to death. There had been close calls and problem resolved.

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from the blog hop. My cat bro Bert is a nuisance! He is into everything, tries to steal food off mom's plate while she is eating, chews power cords, eats his cat toys...one thing after another! We love him dearly but there is no way to get him in check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The power cords are a problem. Ledfoot (2009) used to chew them up and also his toys. I am so lucky that Rascal does not look at the power cords (knock on wood)! The things we do for our kitties.

      Delete